Beginner Mountain Bike Camp
- Who: Campers entering Grades 6-10
- What: Mountain Biking Camp
- When: TBD
- Where: Deep Well Trailhead, Percy Warner Park
- What to Bring: Mountain Bike, Helmet, Lunch, Weather-appropriate clothing and a plastic water bottle.
- Time: 9:00 am-4:00 pm Drop-off begins 8:45am, Pick-up begins 4:00pm. (Before and after care is also available for Mountain Biking Camp. You will just register for it as an add-on when purchasing the camp. This is from 7:45am-5:15pm)
- What to Bring: Mountain Bike, Helmet, Lunch, Weather-appropriate clothing and a plastic water bottle
Riders learn the basics of riding their mountain bike on the trails. In addition, they will learn about bike maintenance, bike set-up and a variety of riding skills to help them enjoy their riding even more. The camps are full of cycling activities that keep things fun and challenging. Along the way riders are learning important STEM Concepts (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). STEM Concepts are a focal point in ongoing education. So even if camp participants are having too much fun to realize it, they are learning skills that will aid them in their educational development. Campers will also get to participate in traditional camp activities too like crafts, games and nature education.
Camp kicks off with a collaborative bike build and tune-up, pressure comparison tests, and seat position experiments. This gives campers a chance to learn about leverage, friction, force, and engineering design. Starting with this focus on bike set up, basic maintenance and safety offers a great foundation for the skills and techniques campers will learn throughout the week, while some slow races give them a chance to get accustomed to the terrain.
Once campers know how to better build and maintain their mountain bike, we teach fundamentals of bike control, which improves bike navigation, riding speed and overall cycling techniques. Correct body positioning, cornering, pumping, and braking skills are essential to bike control, and are a great way to learn STEM concepts like calculating averages, understanding energy, and finding your center of gravity, before putting those new skills to test with a Pump-Distance Challenge.
While learning STEM concepts is more and more important for academic and professional success, it’s also the secret to mastering the ins and outs of mountain biking. Above all, we want campers to leave with a love for cycling, learning, and healthy living. Mountain Bike Camp is the perfect way for the teens in your life to be active, build community, and learn enriching skills while enjoying the beauty of the outdoors.